Sprouted Buckwheat Bread Recipe
Buckwheat differs from wheat in that it doesn’t contain gluten and isn’t technically a grain.
Sprouting buckwheat allows for maximum nutrient absorption while removing mineral leeching compounds that are found in non sprouted buckwheat. I find sprouted buckwheat bread has a much nicer taste than regular wheat bread. It is moist because the buckwheat was sprouted and was living when you made the dough. Sprouting buckwheat massively improves digestion.
How To Sprout Buckwheat:
- Buy organic, raw buckwheat with the hull on. Without the hull the buckwheat won’t sprout.
- If you don’t have sprouting jars you can get a glass jar with a metal lid and stab some holes in the lid, this will allow water to drain.
- Fill your jar about 2/3 full of buckwheat.
- Wash the buckwheat under some water then drain (while in the jar). Repeat this about 3 or 4 times.
- Fill the jar with water up to the top and leave overnight or for 4-8 hours.
- Once the buckwheat has been soaking for long enough drain the liquid and then rinse the buckwheat 3 or 4 times again to get rid of the slimy stuff that comes off of the buckwheat at first.
- You need to be sure all of the water comes out when you drain the buckwheat the last time, a great way of making sure of this is by leaving the jars on your dish drying rack at an angle.
- Twice or more a day you need to rinse the buckwheat and let it drain.
- After 2 or so days you will notice a white tail growing out of the buckwheat, this means it has sprouted.
How To Turn Sprouted Buckwheat Into Bread:
- Use a blender or food processor to blend up the soaked buckwheat to a dough like consistency with some Himalayan/sea salt, whatever spices you want and any other ingredients you want. You can make this bread savory or sweet. Water isn’t necessary to add because the buckwheat is already soaked.
- Place in a bread tin or whatever you want to cook in.
- This step is optional. By leaving the sprouted buckwheat dough in the tin for 6 hours or more you can create a sourdough type bread. Leave it in a warm spot and it should rise slightly.
- When you want to cook preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and then insert the bread.
- Depending on how much dough you made the cooking time will vary. I only made a small amount to try out sprouted buckwheat bread, I enjoyed it so I have started more buckwheat sprouting.
- Enjoy your bread as a salad sandwich, as toast or however you want to use it. You can use the dough in any way you want! You don’t need to limit yourself to bread. Use it to make pizza bases, muffins, cakes, biscuits, whatever you want! You simply need to alter the other ingredients to suit the dish. For pizza add some Italian herbs, for muffins or cakes add cinnamon, dates and bananas! The possibilities are endless.
WORLD PEACE SOLUTION: The Last Generation That Can (2013) HD
Highly recommended superfoods:
He Shou Wu – One of the highest food sources of zinc. Contains powerful antioxidants that can slow aging.
Reishi Mushroom – King of herbs. Adaptogenic healing super food. Incredibly nourishing tonic herb.